Friday, September 4, 2009
All day I was looking forward to getting into the studio tonight and working on the "Onions" painting. But at 4:45, right as I was getting ready to wrap it up at work I got an emergency project that had to be completed tonight. So instead of painting, I am designing. Oh well, at least we have a long weekend coming up. Work has been pretty crazy recently. So I haven't had the time or energy to paint very much. Next week I hope to get back to a more regular schedule of painting.
Above is a shot of the "Onions" current progress. I haven't settled on a title yet, so for now I'm calling it onions. I've been using Gamblin's Neo Megilp for my medium on this one and I have to say that I'm digging it so far. I usually use Liquin which is great, but I wanted to try some other mediums so I decided to give Megilp a try. The consistency is pretty close to Liquin out of the bottle but when mixed in with the paint it seems to be a little more buttery. The peaks and valleys in my brushstrokes seem to melt away, leaving a smooth glossy finish. One downside is that it seems to dry a little slower. Instead of drying overnight like Liquin it takes a good two days to dry completely. Since I'm not currently painting every day this isn't a problem.
Not sure if I am ready to make the switch from Liquin yet, but it does have some great qualities. I also want to try some more traditional mediums like linseed oil, which I have never used. I think for my next painting I will try some stand oil + turps.
at 2:00 AM